top of page
  • Jerald Lucas

Russell-Rowe, Gannon extend Crew 2 win streak to four straight

After defeating Orlando City B 2-0 last week, Columbus Crew 2 looked to ride their win streak more, welcoming in their Canadian counterparts Toronto FC II. A matchup that shows both teams pressing style of play, the Black & Gold looked to contain the Reds in hopes to edge out their fourth victory in a row.

Early in the 2nd minute of the match Michael Vang went down after being involved in a collision.Courtois deemed Vang suffered a concussion, and that a thorough examination was imminent in the future.

Both teams were looking to feel each other out and see how the game would come from one another.

In the 10th minute Brady Scott made an amazing save on a shot from Toronto to give them their first corner kick of the game. In the 13th minute the Black & Gold began the attack in the midfield with shifty footwork by the captain Marco Micaletto and Jake Morris to land a beautiful through ball up the right flank to Mohamed Farsi; However the attack would fall short.

During the first quarter of the game the Crew were playing aggressive on the attack causing turnovers in the Toronto box. This would lead to Columbus conceding late in the 20th minute, when Toronto finally got by the back line and scored making it 1-0 by Hugo Mbongue.

The Crew – Now allowing their first goal in 270 minutes – had their backs against the wall. Llate in the 25th minute, Jacen Russell-Rowe continued his goal streak on an unassisted goal to even the score 1-1.

Coming out of the hydration break the Black & Gold were back on the attack. Russell-Rowe had a deflection off his knee that went just wide for Toronto keeper Greg Ranjitsingh to make the save.

In the first half, the Crew were able to slow Toronto down in transition and counter attack quickly up the flanks.

Going into the half the score was tied up 1-1, with Columbus gaining the upper hand in chances and momentum.

Coleman Gannon scores first goal

Right of the back in the 46th minute, JT Kamara laid a beautiful pass behind the Toronto defense to a streaking Coleman Gannon who put it to give the Crew a 2-1 lead.

In the 66th minute, Mohamed Farsi was on the receiving end of a pass from Kamara, who then flew up the flank a crossed the ball through the box to an out-streched Gannon for a header that sailed just a little high over the goal.

Things began to get chippy between the Black & Gold and the Reds in the 85th minute as another yellow card had been issued to the Crew. In the 87th minute Scarlett came in to give Gannon a well deserved rest after he secured his first goal for Crew 2.

In the closing minutes of the game, the Crew had a couple chances with Jordan Knight with a 1v1 with Ranjitsingh, and then Noah Fuson using his shifty footwork along the endline for a chance to go up another goal but couldn’t convert. At full time the Black & Gold finished with a score of 2-1, notching their 4th straight win and took control of the East.

Columbus is back in action May 8th against New England Revolution 2 away from home.


bottom of page